All Saints Walsoken

All Saints' Church Walsoken

All Saints WalsokenRev. A.R. Landall (Rector) 01945 583740
Tony Peppercorn (Warden) 01945 461757
Peter Wadlow (Warden) 01945 463743
All Saints' Church and Rectory
Church Road
Walsoken
Wisbech
PE13 3RA

 

Architecture

Church drawings

What has been written about All Saints' Church, Walsoken

All Saints’ Walsoken is a Grade 1 Listed Building and consists of a nave with south and north aisles, chancel with south and north chapels, south porch and west tower surmounted by a spire. The nave and chancel are both late Norman and date from c.1146.The nave consists of fine arcades of 7 semi-circular arches. The arches are finely carved and the piers are alternately circular and octagonal. The chancel arch is elaborately carved and dates from the 13th century and is pierced by a 15th century entrance to a former rood screen.  The tower arch is Early English and the south porch and west tower also date from the 13th century.
The tower contains a rounded Norman west doorway. The spire is later and dates from the 15th century and there are several later window insertions throughout. The roofs are mediaeval and the nave roof is a single hammer beam construction with mediaeval canopied figures on the jack posts retaining some of their original colour.  Above the tower arch is a 15th century carving of King Solomon and either side of the carving is a 15th century plaster painting depicting the Judgement of Solomon. Above the chancel arch is a 15th century carving of King David with harp.  The font dates from 1544 and is an octagonal seven sacrament font. The font is elaborately carved and contains, around the base, a donor’s inscription